When it comes to hair care, there are a lot of do’s and don’ts, myths and beliefs that dictate how you should look after your hair. Due to this factor, it is a bit difficult to gauge whether or not you are truly damaging your hair. The following are some of the most common ways through which you can look after your hair and ensure that you do not end up damaging them unnecessarily.
Washing your hair can’t appear damaging. In fact, hair washing is recommended twice or thrice a week. On the other hand, the following are some ways that it is possible for one to end up inflicting more damage to them:
- Rubbing the Hair: Don’t scrub hair in order to work the shampoo out. Just let it flow through your hair. The rubbing motion creates a friction that weakens the hair strand.
- Skipping on Conditioning: Whether you are pressed for time or not, always condition your hair. Skipping on conditioner can end up leaving it weak.
- Swimming Chemicals: If you swim a lot, always wash your hair with special swimmer’s shampoo and use a deep conditioner.
When you’re trying to dry hair, you can also cause damage to your hair if you are doing it wrong. The following are some ways that you can avoid it:
- Towel Drying Hair: Don’t rub your hair to get the water out of it. Instead, simply wrap in a light, terry cloth and let it soak the water out.
- Brushing Hair: When hair is wet, always use a wide-toothed wooden comb to brush it. There are brushes being introduced that do not stress or damage wet hair but if you don’t have that, opt for a comb.
- Using a Hair Dryer: If you are in a hurry and cannot wait for your hair to dry on its own, use a hair dryer, at its lowest setting to dry your hair.
When it comes to unnecessarily damaging your hair, the way you style it can actually make an impact on the overall health of your hair. Styling hair carefully can help you to avoid stressing hair, in the following manner:
- Tight Ponytails: These can stress your hair, pulling at the roots and cause hair fall. Similarly, they have been linked with causing headaches as well.
- Using Too Much Heat: Heat damage can be avoided by opting to curl hair through the use of curl creams, sprays and rollers. If hair has to be straightened, you need to use a heat protection spray.
- Using too Many Products: Products can build up and harm your hair as well. If that is a problem, try opting for hairstyles that do not require as many hair styling products.
By paying attention to these, you can easily avoid unnecessarily damaging hair and ensuring that your hair stays lovely and beautiful, regardless of how you style it or wear it.